Delafontaine (French, founded late 18th Century)

Return To Glossary

The Delafontaine bronze factory was first established in the late 18th Century by Jean-Baptiste-Maximilien Delafontaine (1750 – 1820). Jean-Baptiste-Maximilien, the original craftsman of four generations of founders, was appointed managing agent of the Communauté des fondeurs, doreurs, graveurs in 1787. He is known to have executed the bronze Corinthian capitals for the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel, built in the courtyard between the Louvre Museum and the Tuileries during the early 19th Century.

Jean-Baptiste-Maximilien’s grandson, Auguste-Maximilien (1813-1892), continued the Delafontaine family business in Paris until the late 19th Century. During its existence, the Delafontaine factory was renowned for producing very high quality bronze decorative art, making it a major competitor of the Barbedienne foundry.