Elkington & Co. (British, founded 1830s)

Return To Glossary

Elkington & Co. was a silver manufacturer from Birmingham, England. It was founded by George Richards Elkington and his brother, Henry Elkington, in the 1830s. It operated under the name G. R. Elkington Co. until 1842, when a third partner, Josiah Mason, joined the firm. It operated as Elkington, Mason & Co. until 1861, when the partnership with Mason was terminated. The firm operated independently as Elkington & Co. from 1861 until 1963, when it was then taken over by British Silverware, Ltd. Over the course of history it became very successful and was one of the prime producers of silver plating. Elkington received various royal warrants of appointments.