Royal Bon (German, founded 1836)

Return To Glossary

Royal Bon ceramics was begun in 1836 by the 19th Century potter and artist Franz Anton Mehlem. The manufactory produced high quality works of both porcelain and earthenware, which soon became popular among the elite European aristocracy.
Royal Bon used a variety of marks to distinguish the firm’s wares. Among these were a monogram-and-tower on exported pottery, the name 'Bon', the initials FM and a crown. In 1890 both 'Royal' and '1755' were added to the pottery mark and were used continuously until 1920. In 1921, Royal Bon was purchased by Villeroy & Bosch, and subsequently closed in 1931.