Royal Copenhagen (Danish, founded 1775)

Return To Glossary

Royal Copenhagen, officially called the Royal Porcelain Factory, was founded in Copenhagen in 1775 under the protection of Queen Juliane Marie. Today, the company remains a leading international manufacturer of high quality porcelain products.

The Royal Copenhagen manufactory began operations in a converted post office under the ownership of chemist Frantz Heinrich Müller, who was given a 50-year monopoly to create porcelain. The first pieces manufactured were dining services for the Royal Family of Denmark. When, in 1779, King Christian VII assumed financial responsibility of the company, the manufactory was rebranded the Royal Porcelain Factory. 

In 1790, Royal Copenhagen produced its now famous Flora Danica dinner service, which features gilded edges and floral illustrations taken from a Danish botanical dictionary commissioned by King Frederik V of Denmark in 1761.

In 1851, Royal Copenhagen exhibited its wares at the Great Exhibition in London, where the company’s products were met with critical acclaim. In 1889, the company exhibited at the Exposition Universelle in Paris, where it won the Grand Prix, further enhancing the firm’s international exposure and reputation.