List Price £4,500
- Popular Searches
By Norman, Johann Christoph (German, Early 19th century)
This fine pewter jug commemorates the names of four guild masters, and most probably served as a presentation piece on a special occasion.
This impressive German pewter jug was crafted during the early-nineteenth century. The jug is of traditional form, with a tapering cylindrical body raised by three feet modelled as lions holding engraved shields, and is surmounted by a hinged cover topped with lion finial holding an inscribed shield. The body of the jug is affixed with a scrolled handle and is set to the front bottom with a richly decorated spout issuing from a lion’s mask mount. Above, a large and profusely engraved crest is mounted to the body.
The inscribed shield lists the names of four guild masters, namely Erhart Binder, Georg Langner, Hanns Schuster, and Wilhelm Seitz.
It bears the mark of Johann Christoph Norman, who became a master pewter smith in 1786. This particular mark is from the period dating 1799-1811. It is most likely a commission of the Mullers guild for replacement of a damaged ceremonial flagon that was 17th century, but the construction and his mark on this piece are all late 18th to early 19th features.
This item qualifies for free international shipping, inclusive of professional packing and insurance.
Terms and conditions apply.