This spectacular three-piece garniture of vases is constituted of one large vase and two smaller flanking vases. The porcelain in each vase is 18th Century Meissen, dating to c. 1770, while the ormolu (gilt bronze) mounts are French and later in date, likely added during the 19th Century.
Each of the three vases is of baluster form. The white ground of each vase is ornamented with painted floral sprigs and applied delicate green porcelain stems and small polychrome porcelain flower blossoms. The encrusted porcelain stems and flower blossoms bound gold-ground cartouche-shaped panels, one on the front and one on the back of each vase, that are painted with scenes in the manner of Watteau. The front panel on the larger vase portrays a scene in a park, within which a couple admire a chain of flowers while an onlooker watches; on the opposite side, an amorous couple court while a rival suitor gazes from behind a pillar. The two smaller vases are decorated with similar Watteau-inspired fête galante scenes of courting couples.
Each of the three vases stands on a base of rambling foliate ormolu scrolls. From the base of each vase springs scrolled rocaille ormolu handles that rise and clasp the rim of the vase. The ormolu throughout is chased and decidedly Rococo in its flamboyancy. Each of the three vases is marked underside with blue crossed swords applied beneath the glaze, signifying Meissen.
Comparable vases are held in the collections of the Cleveland Museum of Art, The Staatliche Museum in Berlin, and the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.