List Price £2,500
- Popular Searches
By Royal Vienna Porcelain Manufactory (Austrian, founded 1718)
This plaque is by the celebrated Royal Vienna Porcelain Manufactory, which was established in 1718 and remained one of Europe’s leading producers until its closure in 1864.
The oval plaque depicts a figurative scene in the Renaissance style. Six figures (two of whom are babies) and a horse occupy the foreground of the picture, while a small hamlet is situated in the middle ground and faint hills in the far distance. The figures wear classicising and flowing robes and tunics in pastel shades and are arranged in a linear composition across the picture plane. A man, kneeling, cradles a baby for a young woman, whose outstretched arms are ready to grasp the child. A second baby sleeps in a wicker cot by a quiet stream, while a man, accompanied by a horse skillfully rendered in a foreshortened manner, points at the scene unfolding before him.
The plaque is contained within a parcel gilt and tooled velvet mount, which is set within a pierced Rococo style giltwood frame.
The painting is signed lower right ‘B. Kolb.’, and the reverse of the plaque is marked with the ‘beehive’ mark for Royal Vienna.
Frame: Height 43cm, width 52cm, depth 2cm
Plaque: Height 24cm, width 34cm, depth 0.5cm
This item qualifies for free international shipping, inclusive of professional packing and insurance.
Terms and conditions apply.