Depicting a young couple in the foreground in the gardens of Belvedere in Vienna, Austria, the gentleman with a sincere expression, on one knee with out-held hand offering a flower as a proposal to his lady friend with a thoughtful expression, seated on a stone bench, both dressed in period costume, with the Belvedere palace in the background.
Gilt and ebonised wood frame, signed and dated lower right 'JVL Berger (18)98'.
The Belvedere is a historic building complex in Vienna, Austria, consisting of two Baroque palaces (the Upper and Lower Belvedere), the Orangery, and the Palace Stables. The buildings are set in a Baroque park landscape in the 3rd district of the city, south-east of its centre. It houses the Belvedere museum. The grounds are set on a gentle gradient and include decorative tiered fountains and cascades, Baroque sculptures, and majestic wrought iron gates. The Baroque palace complex was built as a summer residence for Prince Eugene of Savoy. The garden had a scenery enclosed by clipped hedging, even as the Belvedere was building, in the formal French manner with gravelled walks and jeux d'eau by Dominique Girard, who had trained in the gardens of Versailles as a pupil of André Le Nôtre. Its great water basin in the upper parterre and the stairs and cascades peopled by nymphs and goddesses that links upper and lower parterres survive, but the patterned bedding has long been grassed over.
Ulrich Thieme, Felix Becker et al.: Allgemeines Lexikon der Bildenden Künstler von der Antike bis zur Gegenwart. Vol 3, Wilhelm Engelmann, Leipzig 1909, p. 397 Österreichisches Biographisches Lexikon 1815-1950 (ÖBL). Vol. 1, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna 1957, p. 72.